What is cardio exercise?
Cardio involves any workout such as running, walking, sport, swimming etc that raises and maintains the heart rate for a period of time. When engaging in cardio training the aim is to increase and maintain the heart rate between 65-85% of the maximum heart rate. Cardio exercise will strengthen the heart’s muscles resulting in a lower resting heart rate as well as the heart working more efficiently in pumping blood and oxygen around the body, especially during exercise.
What are the benefits of cardio exercise?
- Increased metabolic rate
- Improved heart health
- Increased release of ‘feel good’ hormones that can ease the symptoms of poor mental health and stress levels as well as appetite control
- Reduce the onset of delayed onset of muscle soreness (DOMS)
- Management of chronic health issues such as diabetes, overweight and other chronic diseases
- Boost brain activity and concentration
- Increased libido
- Increased energy throughout the day
How much cardio should I do?
The amount of cardio will vary depending on individual exercise and weight goals.